This khipu was created using information obtained from Numbers and Relations from Ancient Andean Khipus
by Marcia and Robert Ascher. At that time, the Ascher's did not differentiate between ply direction, attachment, or barberpole vs. mottled cords. This data is missing, and the khipus will need to be remeasured. Lacking that information, I have assumed, that the cords are mottled, for purposes of reconstruction. Additionally, color choices are, at best, best guesses, since I have never actually seen the khipus.
Ascher Databook Notes:
- The khipu seems to have 3 major divisions: Part I = cords 1-110; Part II = cords 111-191; Part III = cords 192-225.
- Within Part I, there are 22 groups by spacing. They have 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 16, 17, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 4, 5, 3 cords. The two groups of 4 cords (47-50, 51-54) have the same color pattern (DBW, MBW, MB, GRW). The next three groups of five cords each (55-59, 60-64, 65-69) have the color pattern (DBW, MBW, MB, LBW, MBW), and the next three groups of four cords each (70-73, 74-77, 78-81) have a similar color pattern (DBW, MBW, MB, MBW). In the last group of Part I (108-110), position 1 plus position 2 equals position 3.
- Within Part II, there are 16 groups by spacing. We shall call them groups 23-38. Each group (except group 36) has 5 cords in it. Groups 23-31 have one color scheme (MBW, DBW, MBW, MBW, LB) and groups 32-38 have a similar color scheme (MBW, DBW, MBW, GR, LBW).
- Within Part II, position 4 in every group is 35. The sum of the position 1 cords in the 16 groups equals the sum of the position 3 cords.
- Position 3 values in groups 27-33 are related as follows:
x27 = x28 + x29; x30+ x31 = x32; x33 = x32 - x 29
- The sum of position 5 values in groups 28-31 minus the sum of position 5 values in groups 24-27 equals the position 1 value in group 27.
- Within Part III, there are 7 groups, groups 39-45. by spacing. Groups 42 and 43 are related as sum groups to groups 24 to 38. For example, position 1 of group 42 is the sum of the values in position 1 in groups 24-31 while position 1 of group 43 is the sum of the position 1 values in groups 32-38.
- Group 44 is a sum group related to groups 42 and 43. Positions 1, 5 and 6 equal the sums of the corresponding positions in groups 42 and 43. Position 4 is the same as the value of position 4 in group 42. (This value also equals the sum of positions 1, 3, 6 in group 41 .) Positions 2 and 3 and their subsidiaries are sums of the corresponding and adjacent positions in the two previous groups. In both the subsidiaries are involved in the same way--one is absorbed and one is not. Thus, x42,i + x43,i+1 + sub 1 + sub 2 = x44,i + sub 2 for i= 2,3.