Ascher Databook Notes:
- Construction note: The designation 3* indicates a specially constructed knot. See AS069, observation #3 for a diagram of it.
- Construction note: A2 is an abbreviation for the color W/FB:W/W/FB:W/W and M1 is an abbreviation for SR:SY:0G:W.
- ** The knots on P42s1s1s2 and P42s3 are threaded with red.
- AS069, AS070, and AS071 were excavated by their owner, Percy Dauelsberg, in 1965. For a discussion of the collection, see AS069.
- The khipu is separated into 8 groups by the use of colored markers. Each group has 10 pendants color W (with the exception of the 7th group which has 9 pendants). Each of the first 7 groups is preceded by a marker pendant that is SR/W. The eighth marker is HB/W. All marker pendants are zero-valued (or blank) and have no subsidiaries.
- In every group, the last pendant is zero-valued (or blank). Also, in groups 1-6, pendants 6-9 are all zero and in group 7 all pendants are zero.
- Some of the pendants have as many as 10 subsidiaries which, in turn, have subsidiaries. In some cases there are as many as 5 levels of subsidiaries. On each level, there is a more or less consistent subsidiary color order. Subsidiaries on pendants in positions 7-10 are described in detail. In positions 9 and 10 of groups 1-7, the subsidiaries (level 1) are color W, W, KB-W, DB: W/W. Their subsidiaries (level 2) are color W, KB-W, DB:W/W and their subsidiaries (level 3) are color KB-W, DB:W/W. No pendant has all of these subsidiaries but, those that are present are selections from this order. (In this color order, there are 4x3x2=24 distinct subsidiary color positions possible. The maximum number of subsidiaries on any pendant in positions 9 or 10 is 8.) Positions 7 and 8 of groups 1-7 extend the subsidiary colors of positions 9 and 10. The subsidiaries possible on level 1 are W, W, KB-W (or FB-W), GR-W (or HB-W), DB:W/W, DB:W. As is the case in positions 9 and 10, level 2 has the same color order but with 1 fewer W and level 3 has the same color order but with no W. Again, no pendant has all of the possible subsidiaries-the maximum number of subsidiaries in positions 7 or 8 is 13. (On pendant 7 in group 6, an additional color is used and 2 subsidiaries are out of order. Also, there are 3 places where GR-W is moved ahead in the order.) Figure 1 shows the colors and values on just 2 pendants and their subsidiaries. Both use selections from the above color order for the first 3 levels but P65 extends to a fourth level as well.
- Group 8 differs from the first 7 groups in the marker color preceding it, the presence of non-zero values in positions 6-9, and by having different colors and patterns of subsidiaries.)
Primary Cord Notes:
The beginning is both knotted and twisted. Pendant cords 49-54 are listed as starting at 15.0 cm, followed by a space of 7.0 cm, however pendants 55-62 start at 16.5 cm.