Ascher Databook Notes:
- Only clusters of single knots are used on both parts of the khipu. The lower knot cluster position has been interpreted as the units position and the higher as the tens position.
- Construction note: AS101 - Part 2 consists of 2 khipus. The twisted ends of the main cords of the 2 parts are tied together with a square knot.
- This is one of several khipus acquired by the Museum in 1907 with provenance Pachacamac. For a list of them, see AS097.
- Parts I and II are related by color and value patterning.
- By color and spacing, Part I is 3 groups of 3 pendants each while Part II is 4 groups of 4 pendants each. The relationship of the colors of the pendants and subsidiaries for both parts is shown in Table 1.
- In Part I, in every group, for pendants and subsidiaries, the value of position 1 equals the value of position 3. Thus, each group has an ABA pattern. In Part II, in every group, for pendants and subsidiaries, the value of position 1 equals the value of position 2 equals the value of position 4. Thus, each group has an AABA pattern. The values of the pendants and subsidiaries for both parts is shown in Table 2.
|Part I||Part II||
|Pendants in group 1||LB or W||Pendants in group 1||LB|
|Subsidiaries in group 1||G0||Subsidiaries in group 1||G0, GY, or LB:W|
|Pendants in group 2||W||Pendants in group 2||W|
|Subsidiaries in group 2:s1l||KB||Subsidiaries in group 2||KB|
|Subsidiaries in group 2:s2||LB:W||Pendants in group 3||LB:W|
|Pendants in group 3||DB or DB:LB||Pendants in group 4||DB or DB:LB|
|Subsidiaries in group 3||DB:LB||Subsidiaries in group 4||DB:LB|
|Part I||Part II||
|Pendants in group 1||16,18,16||Pendants in group 1||3,3,7,3|
|Subsidiaries in group 1||8,14,8||Subsidiaries in group 1||2,2,5,2|
|Pendants in group 2||3,4,3||Pendants in group 2||7,7,9,7|
|Subsidiaries in group 2:sl||3,4,3||Subsidiaries in group 2||3,3, 4, 3|
|Subsidiaries in group 2:s2||16,18,16||Pendants in group 3||3,3,7,3|
|Pendants in group 3||3,4,3||Pendants in group 4||6,6,12,6|
|Subsidiaries in group 3||16,18,16||Subsidiaries in group 4||4,4,6,4|
Primary Cord Notes:
The twisted ends of the main cords of the 2 parts are tied together in a square knot.