Ascher Databook Notes:
- LB* is the same color as LB but a different texture.
- The main cord and some pendants were recently mended. The mended portion has 5 pendants and some additional space. These are left out of the listing. The listing and measurements resume with pendant 274.
- Construction note: The cord has a loop tied in it 11.0 cm. beyond the E knot. The original length of the cord was 31.0 cm.
- Construction note: The markers are blank cords connected to the main cord in a special way.
- The cord was first attached in the usual pendant manner.
- Then it was passed around the main cord and through the loop thus formed.
- Construction note: The main cord is finished with a cotton knob. Its covering has bands of color that appear on the khipu pendants and subsidiaries.
- The khipu is divided into 6 parts by markers. Each part is separated by spacing into 9 groups. Each group has 8 pendants and the same color pattern of 5 LB followed by 3 W.
Since the main cord starts with a broken end, there may have been more parts. Also, we assume that the first 16 pendants of part 1 are missing due to the broken end, and that the first 10 pendants of part 5 are missing due to the break and mend noted between M4 and pendant 274. This means that 51/54 groups remain and 406/ 432 pendants remain.
- The khipu only contains only the values 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. In all groups:
In all, there is 1 value of 6 and 15 values of 3 or 4. Thus 96% are 0-2.
- position 8 contains 0-1
- positions 5&6 contain 0-2
- position 4 contains 0-3
- position 1 contains 0-2,4
- positions 2&7 contain 0-4
- position 3 contains 0-4,6
- subsidiaries contain 0-2.
Note: since 72/406 pendants and 27/119 subsidiaries are broken, generalizations about values refer to 334 pendants and 92 subsidiaries, while generalizations about color refer to 406 pendants and 119 subsidiaries.
- In all groups, there are no subsidiaries on position 1. There is a maximum of 2 subsidiaries on any pendant. There are 9 different subsidiary colors with some distinction by position. GB appears only in position 8; W only in position 7; LB* only in position 2; DB:W in positions 2&6; LB-GB and BL/LB-BL in positions 3,4,5; LB-BL in positions 2,3,4,5; and LB and DB appear in positions 2-8.
Primary Cord Notes:
Main cord: 2 components 1. White bundle Z-twist 2. 2 components, final Z-twist